Monday, November 21, 2005

Step into Christmas

Since Halloween, I've been ready for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I love the holidays! I love the music, the lights, the decorations, the food, the happy memories, buying and wrapping presents, the anticipation, the holiday TV specials and movies -- I love it all.

Some people find the cold, short winter days depressing but that doesn't bother me until after the holidays. For now, the dark just sets off the glow of warm, inviting indoor lights and the happy glow of outdoor holiday lights. What could look more cheerful or inviting?

Maybe I need the holidays more than usual this year. Since July, we've lost five friends or acquaintances and one family member. I feel like I've been living at the funeral home. I'm trying to keep my chin up, and I hope my pretty Christmas lights will cheer me up, as they always have. All the boxes are in the living room, just waiting for me to decorate. I usually wait until after Thanksgiving, but this year I might not be able to wait that long. Like the song says, I need a little Christmas right this very minute.

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving, full of happy memories, especially those who have recently lost a loved one. I know that the first year of holidays without that loved one can be awful. If you need a little holiday cheer, stop by and look at my pretty Christmas lights!

No comments: