Thursday, December 13, 2007

Dazzling Lights




















This afternoon I finished my end-of-the-semester grading. To celebrate, my husband and I went to Rochester, MI to look at the beautiful Christmas light show downtown.

My photos came out a little blurry, so this one is from Big Bright Show: Rochester, MI from a web site called LEDgen Lighting. The site not only tells you everything you can possibly imagine about LED lights, it has a Featured LED Projects page with lots more displays like Rochester.

What's amazing is that every building in downtown Rochester looks like this! One of the merchants told me the city does all the lighting from installation to removal.

Here are a couple of close-up, one from the Big Bright Show:





















...and one from me:



























I couldn't resist taking a picture of this display, featuring Santa:


























As I was admiring the Santa display a family walked by and a very small girl, eyes wide at all the Christmas lights, waved and said "Hi, Santa!" It was so sweet I almost cried. The moment was nearly spoiled when her older sibling told her, "Don't be stupid, that's not the REAL Santa!" -- until I realized he, too, still believed. What a joy to know that kids still believe in Santa and Christmas! I needed that.

No comments: