Wednesday, December 05, 2007

From Hospital to Rehab

I had a very long day today; we moved my uncle from the hospital to rehab. He was very tired but everything went well. He is still somewhat confused but a little better than yesterday. They are giving him a new medicine for dementia and I hope it will help. He starts his physical & occupational therapy tomorrow.

I hadn’t planned on needing to choose a rehab this soon but everyone I talked to recommended this as one of their top 2 or 3 choices. My father-in-law went with me to visit it before I made my final choice. In addition to rehab, it provides extended in case we need it later. Right now the plan is to have him there for rehab and hope he can get strong enough to go home. If he doesn’t improve or if he regresses, we can have him evaluated for Hospice because of his critical heart valve problem.

It’s a nice, clean, cheerful facility. Everyone we saw today (and we were there ALL day) looked happy and well-cared for. No residents were yelling or wandering aimlessly. They have nice family/TV rooms, several dining rooms, activities, a beautiful aquarium, and on-site therapy dogs. (You know I liked that part!) Right now, he’s happy and doing OK. I, on the other hand, am exhausted and heading to bed!

No comments: