Monday, December 03, 2007

No News But Lots to Think About

Yesterday my uncle was moved from the Cardiac ICU to a normal room. Over the weekend he was a little confused but yesterday he made no sense at all. The nurses said his sodium level was low and that could be contributing to the dementia. They stopped the IV and gave him a medicine to help rebalance his sodium level. It was awful to see him so confused.

A Genesys Social Worker came by to talk to me yesterday. He didn't know when my uncle might be released but gave me lots of info and lots of think about. Apparently my uncle will go from the hospital to Rehab (where he can get physical and occupational therapy). After that we'll have to decide if he can go home or if he needs a Extended Care Facility (ECF). He's always said he never wanted to end up in a nursing home, so I'll do everything I can to make that a last resort.

This is the last week of class, so I'm struggling to finish grading my students' final writing assignments. Between grading, my uncle's condition, finding/paying his bills, and thinking about all the social worker told me, I feel extremely overwhelmed! I hope tomorrow will be a better day.

No comments: