Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Oh, the (Technological) Irony

After my post the other day on Amazing Technology two things happened to shake my faith in my current technology.

First, on Friday I couldn't get on the Internet. Everything was hooked up correctly all the modem and router lights were happy, etc. First I called my Internet provider, then I called the company that made my router, both walked me through a bunch of troubleshooting steps, said it wasn't their product, and blamed the other. (Of course!) I spent the morning at the library using the free Wi-Fi only to discover that the problem had mysterious corrected itself by the time I got home. My IT buddy Dan called it a "server hiccup" -- there was nothing technically wrong, just a temporary loss of connection to my service provider. How annoying! I hope that doesn't happen often.

Second, on Sunday my Airport Express (which allows us to use our laptops wirelessly) died. I mean dead, and it's only two months old. Fortunately, Apple has outstanding customer service. They immediately shipped a replacement which arrived the next day! I was less pleased with CompUSA who would not exchange it, even though it was under warranty, because we didn't purchase their CompUSA customer service along with the Airport Express. I believe customer service should come with a purchase, not be something I pay extra for. Needless to say, I will never purchase anything from CompUSA again!

So things are back to normal and, technologically, life is good.

I love technology ... when it works.

No comments: