Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Saffron Update

Saffron hasn't been doing so well recently. A couple weeks ago she had some kind of "event": she fell over, acted a bit weird for a few hours, and was back to normal the next day. There's no way to know for sure what happened, but since then, she's been acting like an old cat (pacing, vocalizing, and occasionally a little confused). The old cat behavoir appears to be unrelated to her liver problem or the "event."

I became really worried this week when her weight dropped to 4 lbs. (she should weigh about 7 lbs.). She's eating, but not nearly as much as usual. Although she's still drinking and getting around, I'm afraid she doesn't have much time left. We don't want to make "the decision" as long as she's not in pain and is still eating, drinking, and getting around. She seems comfy and happy -- I'm the one who is distressed! I guess we're never ready to say good-bye, no matter how much time we have to prepare. I'm still hoping that when the time comes, she'll leave us peacefully in her sleep. Until then, I'm going to sleep in the living room with her and love and comfort her as much as I can.

Here are some photos of her eating in bed (yes, she's the most spoiled cat on the planet) and sleeping in her favorite spot in the whole world (of course we put the tree up early just for her!). Say a prayer for my sweet little girl.






No comments: