Friday, November 30, 2007

Post-Surgery Update

I still don’t have time to answer you individually right now, but really appreciate all the nice e-mails and the moral support. Thank you so much! Knowing that everyone is concerned is very comforting. Here’s the latest news:

My uncle had surgery today to drain the fluid that was pressing on his heart. He came through surgery with no problems and was resting comfortably when I came home tonight.

The surgeon reminded me that this is temporary fix to make him comfortable. He heart valve is very old/damaged and we can expect to measure his survival in terms of months, not years. His heart could fail at any time, which is not surprising in someone who is 85. The heart valve problem also makes it more likely he will have more mini-strokes or a big stroke. Again, we already knew that. For now he is doing as well as can be expected. We aren’t sure how long he’ll be in the hospital, but I can’t think that far ahead yet.

No comments: