Saturday, July 28, 2007

Halloween Stitching

Not long ago I mentioned that I'm doing lots of little counted cross-stitch projects. Here are pictures and links to the designers. I'm also challenging myself to stitch on something other than plain old white Aida cloth, so I'm stitching each chart on the colored fabric pictured with it.

I love Meowy Halloween (I'm stitching all three and they glow in the dark!), Halloween Kitty Moon, Christmas Kitty Moon, and The Cat Did It (customize with your pet's name), all by Stitchy Kitty. I used 16 count fabric for Meowy Halloween and 14 count for everything else. This was the first time I used 16 count and I really like it! Note for non-stitchers: this refers to number of squares per inch. Each cross-stitch, which looks like a little x, is one square.























































































I found Ursala Michael's Bewitching Banner in the September issue of Cross-Stitch and Needlework and couldn't resist stitching it! (Don't they remind you of the Sorting Hat in Harry Potter? :)

This will be the first time I've used DMC Light Effects floss (fluorescent colors, but there are now more than the 2 colors pictured on the DMC site). I'm stitching this pattern on 28 count Opalescent/Raw Belfast Metallic Linen by Zweigart. The pictures don't do it justice! It's pretty with a hint of sparkle. Note for non-stichers: when using linen you stitch over two squares, so this design has 14 stitches per inch, not 28.


























Merlin Max is one chart in special series by A Kitty Katz Originals. This chart came with all the charms you can see in the picture (spiderweb, spider, "Halloween," key, witch shoes, witch head, moon and stars, and candy corn) and was the same price as most charts without charms! This is a good deal since charms can be expensive.


























I couldn't find fabric quite like that pictured with Merlin Max, so I'm using a really pretty, sparkly fabric by Laguna called Rainbow Sparkle. The picture on Herrschner's web site (click and scoll down) doesn't do it justice! It's a pastel blend of blue-ish, purple-ish colors on a light blue/gray background with sparkly rainbow metallic thread throughout. I will try to take a picture when I'm done stitching. If it shows the fabric well, I will post it here.

I don't recommend Herrschner's, by the way; I didn't spend anywhere near what they charge for Rainbow Sparkle! As always, I buy my supplies at Stitches 'n' Things in Fenton, MI. which has much better prices and service than any online site!

No comments: