Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Lake Wobegon Podcast

At long last I can listen to Garrison Keillor's weekly News from Lake Wobegon (NLW) on my iPod, free! To subscribe go to the Prairie Home Companion's about the podcast page or subscribe through iTunes.

While you are at it, you might also want to subscribe to GK's Writer's Almanac. It's a daily 5- minute podcast with almanac info and a poem. (I like pithy podcasts, in case you hadn't noticed.)

I got hooked on NLW when we lived in Lansing. One of my co-workers, Helen, had been recording it for years. She kindly loaned me a box of cassettes filled with nothing but NLW and I was hooked. Sometimes it made me sad. I was living away from my hometown and my mom and the dog I grew up with had recently died, so sometimes NLW made me so homesick I could hardly stand it. Most of the time, though, it made me laugh because I knew just what it was like to grow up in a small town, albeit not quite as quaint as Lake Wobegon.

Helen, in case I never told you, thanks. I think of you every time I listen to A Prairie Home Companion or NLW. I wish I knew where you are now so I could thank you in person.

I"m off to listen to the latest News from Lake Wobegon, where the women are strong, the men are good looking, and all the children are above average.

No comments: