Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Saffron Update




















This is Saffron, sleeping on her favorite pillow. Doesn't she look happy and sleepy? It's been a while since I've written about her, so here's an update.

She was doing really well, until the beginning of July. Since then she's been having lots of digestive problems and really fighting dehydration. According the blood test results we got today, her liver is about the same as it was last Dec. (and not too bad for a 12-year-old cat with liver disease), her kidneys are great, she's slightly anemic, and her red- and white-bloodcell counts are off, indicating an infection (probably parasitic). The infection is probably an overgrowth of something that's naturally in the digestive tract, but her little immune system just isn't as effective as it used to be. She's still getting fluids twice a week at the vet's to help prevent dehydration. I'm giving her two antibiotics for the infection and she's much better now.

I can't tell you how relieved I was to learn her recent problems are something that can be treated and will go away. I was terrified that her liver and/or kidneys were starting to fail. She's a spunky little thing (and I do mean little: 5 lbs. 4 oz. now) and the vet says that her attitude, plus the loads of love and care we give her, are why she's in such good shape. Her appetite is good, her coat looks healthy, and she purrs a lot. I just want to her to stay happy and comfortable for as long as possible. I'm so glad she's doing so well!

UPDATE Thurs, July 24: Tonight she rubbed her face all over my husband’s dress shoes when he got home from work. We haven’t seen her do that in ages! It’s nice to see her acting more like her old self. Whew!

No comments: